Pages

Saturday, September 8, 2012

Mason's Tips for Writer's Block


I have noticed that quite a few people on wattpad complain about writer's block.

I totally agree that writer's block is one of the most crippling things a writer can experience if you let it cripple you.

Click Pickover's Tips for Writers has quite a bit of useful information if you would like to check it out, but I am going to compile a list of things that help me get through writer's block.

1. Take a step away from your work.
      If you find yourself absolutely stuck on your writing, and you're pulling your hair out in sheer and utter frustration, simply take a step back. Give yourself a little break, but don't let the break transform into anything much longer than a few hours.
     The main goal is to get past whatever is blocking your writing, not ignore it.

2. Reread what you have written to pinpoint exactly where you are stuck.
     This will help you isolate the exact point in your writing that is bothering you. In my case, when I get writer's block, it's because there is a specific part in my writing that I don't like or I believe doesn't work. All I have to do is rework my writing until I like it.
     This takes time, but in the end it's totally worth it.
3. (This one is my favorite) Listen to music that inspires you.
     This is more of a tip to avoid writer's block all together. When writing, I listen to my musical muses, and I highly recommend that every single writer out there sit down and find music that inspires you.
     In my case, I listen to Milla Jovovich, Marina & the Diamonds, Ellie Goulding, Florence & the Machine, Tori Amos, and Lana Del Rey. Something about the combination of their music just keeps me going, and it honestly helps me avoid writer's block completely.

I hope this help any of you, and if you have any questions, please drop them in the form of a comment(:
Also, if you have any tips for writer's block, please share them below :D
We could all benefit from it <3

No comments:

Post a Comment