Pages

Friday, November 14, 2014

Tove Lo - Queen of the Clouds


Tove Lo - Queen of the Clouds

Tove Lo (Ebb Tove Elsa Nilsson) is a Swedish singer from Stockholm who has been popping up everywhere as of late. I first encountered this gem on YouTube with her 2013 single Habits. You guys know me, give me a grungy girl, and I'm bound to give her music a chance; I'm very happy that I looked into this one!

Tove Lo released her debut EP (Truth Serum) in March of this year; however, I actually didn't get around to listening to it (besides on Pandora) until I already had my claws into her debut album Queen of the Clouds. I encourage everyone to give both a chance!
(Click the links! They'll take you to iTunes. You're welcome. ^-^)



Queen of the Clouds dropped on September 24th 2014 through Island Records. Two singles led up to the release of the album: Habits (Stay High) and Not on Drugs. So far, since the release, Talking Body has also been named a single. 
The album itself is split into three 'mini albums': The Sex, The Love, and The Pain; however, while listening, each section more or less resembles the other with a slightly different tone. Most of the themes (sex, drugs, sex, sex, sex, drugs) carry on throughout the entirety of the album.

As mentioned above, Tove sings a loooooooooooooooooot about drugs and sex. Trust me, I'm not complaining. It's just something to keep in mind. At times, the album is a psychedelic high with bright colors, pumping beats, and (sometimes) ridiculously fun lyrics; however, at times, Tove's songs are actually pretty depressing. 
It's a nice ride; it's thoroughly enjoyable actually. 
(Even if it is a little manic.)


Overall, the album is very strong. Tove's lyrics feel honest; it almost feels like she's trying to make you feel exactly how she's feeling. Granted, sometimes that can be a little hazy, grungy, and a little raving. I still feel however that the three sections are a little pointless. Most of the songs in each section carry the same themes, so I don't really see where the line is drawn. I have a feeling that after a few more listens, it will all become clearer.


I give the album **** out of 5 *'s!

My favorite songs are:
Talking Body
Moments
The Way That I am
Not on Drugs
Habits
This Time Around

The only song on the album that I didn't care for nearly as much as the others was Like Em Young; however, I can definitely see the appeal of the song, and I feel like it will grow on me. As of right now, I don't care for it all that much, but hey, you can't ALWAYS like them all, huh?

As always, thanks so much for reading guys! Let me know if you check this gal out, and let me know what you think of her music!

*Support these artists! This is their art, and we are lucky enough to be able to enjoy it!*

No comments:

Post a Comment